Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Trip to Tel Aviv

Last weekend I went to Tel Aviv and it was amazing! It was exactly what I needed.
City streets, cultural diversity, the Mediterranean Sea always whispering, history in architecture, buses and mopeds and bicycles, delicious fruit and the freshest bread, old people dancing on the sidewalks, movie theaters, the glory in wandering, and independence!

Katie (below) and I took the bus from Lotan.



About four and a half hours later, we arrived in the city. I was immediately beaming with joy to be in a place where I could get lost, and where I could spend hours walking and observing while embracing spontaneity and simplicity.

On King George Street:


Funny spot in Yafo:


View of the city from Yafo:



I saw two really wonderful Israeli films at a theater in Dizengoff Centre (one film with Katie, and one by myself). That feeling of sinking into the cushioned seat in the theater was glorious…the space felt like home! Cinema as a source of comfort.

Wandering around with Katie was wonderful, and having many hours to myself was also really important. When I was alone I sat on the sand by the water and ate pomegranates, watched people, listened to the waves.
The sea at night:




I am really glad that I understand the importance of city for me—the way a city happens, the way it feels.

My weekend adventure ended with a night walk from the bus stop on the Arava Road back to Kibbutz Lotan. It was blackness everywhere, silence and stillness. It was like the whole desert was sleeping…I felt like the only moving thing. I was passing through that valley alone and I didn’t want to hear voices or see lights. I felt really, really happy.

No comments: